What Does Derby University Specialise In?
The University of Derby is renowned for its focus on applied learning. Personal tutors with excellent industry connections and extensive real-world experience strive to let every student develop strong practical skills alongside their academic knowledge.
This is true to the University’s motto: Experientia docet – “Experience is the best teacher”.
Derby ranked 91st out of 130 in the 2023 University League Table. This is a marked improvement, as it only ranked 99th as recently as 2021.
The University ranks highly in terms of degree completion, graduate prospects, and the student to staff ratio.
What Subjects Does The University of Derby Specialise In?
In the 2023 Subject League Tables, Derby is ranked in the top ten for Information Technology and Systems.
The University of Derby also ranks competitively in:
- Accounting and Finance
- Childhood and Youth Studies
- Counselling, Psychotherapy & Occupational Therapy
- Drama, Dance and Cinematics
- Forensic Science
- Medical Technology and Bioengineering
- Social Work
- Tourism, Transport, Travel & Heritage Studies
In total, The University of Derby offers 201 full time courses.
University of Derby – Famous Alumni
Notable alumni from The University of Derby includes:
- Khumbo Kachali (politician)
- Idris Khan (photographer)
- Graham Joyce (author)
- Stephen Amoah (politician)
- David Imms (artist)
- Devon Malcolm (cricketer)
- Lucy Spraggan (musician)
- Paul Cummins (ceramic artist)
Why Study at The University of Derby?
Here are three good reasons to study at The University of Derby:
- A high standard of teaching – With a mix of industry connections, tutors with real-world experience, and emphasis on placements and on-the-job experience, courses at The University of Derby seem primed to build up your confidence. Study here to develop strong transferable skills that will greatly improve your prospects as a graduate.
- Many things to see and do – Derby is a highly underrated city for students. Read our full guide to the many fun things for students to see and do in Derby. But beyond the city, there are many benefits to having the beautiful Peak District on your doorstep. Whether you’re an adrenaline junky looking for extreme sport thrills, or you just like the occasional peaceful walk through stunning landscape, Derby might be one of the best university choices for outdoor types.
- A safe and affordable place to live – As both the crime rates and the cost of living are relatively low, Derby can be a very pleasant city to live in. The city often ranks highly in lists of the happiest places to live. Access to nature certainly helps, but residents also speak highly of “the sense of community spirit, belonging, friendliness and politeness.”
High Quality, Affordable Student Houses in Derby
The University of Derby has much to offer, and the city itself is something of a haven for students. So if you’re considering studying in Derby, we don’t blame you!
If you’re looking for the best student accommodation in Derby, we’re here for you. We only deal with students, and as we’re all recent graduates ourselves, we know exactly what students want and need out of their accommodation.
Head here to find your new student home in Derby.
News & Blog
SIMILAR ARTICLES TO READ
Keep up to date with the latest UNI2 Rent news.